Briefly about the most important today's events in our digest of events
that have happened in Ukraine today
NATO: The situation in the east of Ukraine may deteriorate in the next few days
The situation in the east of Ukraine is very unstable and may seriously worsen in the next few days, Deputy Secretary General of NATO Alexander Vershbow said in an interview with Deutsche Welle.
"This is a very unstable situation. The ceasefire has not been observed in certain areas, and there may be a serious deterioration of the situation there within the next few days", he said.
According to him, Russia should explain to the separatists that it does not support the elections scheduled for November 9.
"Their legitimacy will not be confirmed and they do not conform to the Minsk protocol", Vershbow said.
He also stressed that the implementation of the Minsk agreement should be carried out as a whole and not selectively.
"The truce was expected to come into force on 19 September. But, of course, the separatists do escalate the situation being supported by continuous Russian military supplies, which arrives through the uncontrolled international border by attacking the airport of Donetsk ", the deputy secretary general of NATO asserted.
In his opinion, Russia is trying to "freeze" the conflict in Donbas region, and there are serious risks that it will succeed in doing so.
"I think that there exist a serious threat (of freezing the conflict - Edit.), and I think that this is exactly what Russia is trying to do in eastern Ukraine, he said.
3 civilians killed in Donetsk in the past 24 hours
3 civilian residents were killed in Donetsk in the past 24 hours as a result of shelling, the official site of the Donetsk City Hall reports. Kuibyshev district was being shelled from 18.30, October 9 to 3.30, October 10. 3 civilians killed and further 5 received different types of wounds as a result of the hostilities. Several dwelling houses were hit by shells. The life-support services of the city are operating well.
Parubiy: Withdrawal of armaments from the ATO area could trigger a serious rebels' attack
A former secretary of the National Security and Defence Council Andriy Parubiy believes that a withdrawal of heavy armaments from the front line to a 15-mile point can provoke some new attacks of the terrorists according to his interview with the magazine "Focus", as reported by "Ukrainski Novyny".
"I knew two weeks ago, what the rebels would concentrate the fire on. It would be the port in Mariupol, because there is no other self-sufficient port in Novoazovsk, the airport in Donetsk and the town of Debaltseve, as it is a key intersection. The terrorists have been doing everything possible to seize these positions. Therefore, I am very critical regarding any arrangements to draw off the artillery as this can trigger rebels’ serious attacks", he says.
"Now, it is the best time to regroup and build up our troops. Whoever thinks that Putin's new policy in Donbas will bring peace is wrong", he said.
Parubiy also expressed the fear that terrorists' campaign of terror against the civilian population would become even crueler, if the gunmen recaptured previously freed settlements.
Militants tried to encircle a roadblock and attacked the airport again
The insurgents carried out another attack on the airport in Donetsk and tried to encircle a National Guard roadblock in Vuglegirsk, a spokesman for the National Security Council Andriy Lysenko reports.
"The largest number of shell strikes and attacks were detected near Debaltsevo and Schastya. Defenders of the Donetsk airport repelled an assault of the terrorists and continue to control this strategic point, Lysenko added.
"National Guard fighters repelled an attempt of Russian mercenaries to encircle a roadblock near Vuglegirsk in Yenakiyevo district," he said.
No armed clashes were detected beyond the ATO area.
ATO press centre: Militants shelled Ukrainian positions 35 times in the past 24 hours
Illegal armed groups have shelled the positions of the anti-terrorist operation (ATO) forces 35 times in the past 24 hours, the ATO press centre reported early on Friday.
"The situation in the area of the anti-terrorist operation remains difficult. The greatest number of attacks was reported at a network of checkpoints, strongholds and observation points near Debaltseve and Schastya. Militants mainly used mortars and small arms," the press centre reported on its page on Facebook.
According to the report, last morning there was an attempt to storm the Donetsk airport. The attack was repelled, and the strategic facility remains under Ukrainian control.
At the same time, the situation in the area of Mariupol is stable.
"The National Guard of Ukraine, the Security Service of Ukraine and other security forces are taking rapid measures to eliminate sabotage and reconnaissance groups," the ATO press centre reported.