Briefly about the most important today's events in our digest of events
that have happened in Ukraine today
UN: Over one million citizens have left Donbas
The number of people who have escaped Donbas because of hostilities and the deterioration of the social situation has exceeded one million people, Ivan Šimonović Secretary-General for Human Rights said at a briefing in Kyiv.
According to him, the number of internally displaced people had exceeded 542 thousands, and more than 567 thousand people had left for other countries including Russia, as of December 12.
Secretary-General added that near 245 thousand people had applied for gaining a refugee status.
Ivan Šimonović also said that people living in the ATO area continued to suffer from violence. According to him, in general, 300 chaotic shell strikes on resident quarters have been recorded so far.
He expressed his satisfaction with actions of the Defence Ministry that had informed field commanders of the Ukrainian army about requirements to protect human rights. According to him, the same kind of requirements has been sent to rebels.
Rebels firing in the Donetsk airport and in inhabited settlements
Insurgents attacked positions of ATO forces with mortars and small arms seven times within the past 24 hours.
As reported by the ATO press-centre on the morning of December 15, firing was heard near the settlements of Frunze, Chornukhine, and Orlovo-Ivanivka.
Gunmen also carried out in total three strikes on airport defenders from their positions at the old terminal and near an orthodox monastery, a report reads.
Ministry of Defence: 917 military killed, and over 3 thousand wounded in the ATO
917 Ukrainian servicemen have been killed during the ATO, and over 3,3 thousand wounded, a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Defence, Victoria Kushnir, said at a briefing in Kyiv, as reported by UNIAN news agency
According to her statement, 917 soldiers of the Armed Forces of Ukraine have died during the anti-terrorist operation, and 3318 others have been wounded.
Linas Linkevičius: Armistice does not work; there is a need to exert further pressure on the Russian Federation
Armistice is not working; therefore, we need to keep exerting pressure on the Russian Federation, the head of the Foreign Ministry of Lithuania, Linas Linkevičius, told reporters before meeting with the Council of EU foreign ministers in Brussels.
"The situation is rather complicated and multi polar. The situation with security (in the east of Ukraine - ed.) has not improved significantly, and, frankly speaking, the truce is not working. We need to continue to exert pressure," he said.
Earlier, we reacted upon the first so-called humanitarian convoy sent to the east of Ukraine from Russia. The tenth one is being prepared today. It has become a routine, and I think it should not be this way, Linas Linkevičius stressed.
He also reminded that Ukraine had to solve its security issues under conditions of the necessity to implement economic reforms.
The time is limited, and they have to implement them, say for instance, within six months. The new government stands a chance. However, we also have to help, Linkevičius noted.
I am very glad that this issue has been listed, although it not high on our agenda today (at a meeting of the EU Council - ed.)," the head of the Foreign Ministry of Lithuania asserted.
As we reported earlier, Linas Linkevičius said that the EU countries will find common ground sooner or later regarding the intensification of sanctions against Russia.
ATO press centre: Insurgents use Grad volley fire systems again
The ATO Headquarters have received information on four apparent cases of violation on the separatists' part, the ATO press-centre posted on its Facebook wall.
The terrorists used artillery and mortars and fired a volley with a Grad system in order to provoke Ukrainian troops.
Additionally, gunmen shelled army positions near the settlements of Krymske, Debaltseve and Chernukhine.
The artillery of ATO forces did not open fire in response to rebels' provocative actions, the press-centre stresses.